- This event has passed.
Sep 9, 2021 | 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm CDT
DIY Herb Gardening and Cocktails
**THIS WORKSHOP REQUIRES KIT PICK-UP**
Join us for our popular herb gardening and mixology class! Learn how to grow and take care of herbs at home, even if you only have indoor space. We’ve assembled a custom kit with seedlings, gardening necessities, and cocktail ingredients for pickup at World of Whirlpool to accompany this virtual experience.
Local gardening expert Emily Cross will lead everyone in planting their own small herb pot that can thrive in a kitchen or on a balcony. Then our mixology expert will show you how to turn those herbs into a festive summer mocktail or cocktail–we’ll provide everything but the alcohol! You’ll learn how to make the Peach Summer Smash, a refreshing summery drink that you are sure to want to recreate. We’ll also be joined by a Maytag laundry expert who will share a few tips on getting dirty garden messes out of your clothes, shoes, and tools.
Kits need to be picked up at the World of Whirlpool on Wednesday, September 8th from 3 PM-6:30 PM, or Thursday, September 9th from 11 AM-5 PM CST. Call us at (312) 840-8050 when you arrive at 331 N LaSalle Dr., Chicago, IL 60654 and we can bring your kit to your car curbside, or feel free to come in and visit the Experience Center! The live workshop is on Thursday, September 9th from 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM CST via Zoom. The Zoom dial-in instructions will be sent to the email used for registration 2 days before the virtual workshop.
To avoid our emails going to your spam folder, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list!
- Peach Summer Smash (cocktail or mocktail)
- Live virtual workshop on Zoom (with recording emailed out to all registrants after the class)
- Planting kit with seedling from Closed Loop Farm, soil, compost, terracotta pot and saucer (everything you need)
- Ingredient kit with all ingredients for 1 mocktail (BYO alcohol)
- Measuring Spoons from KitchenAid
- Printed and emailed Recipe Card
- Live Q&A with gardening expert and chef
- Where is this live workshop being held?
- On Zoom! You can create your free account here: https://zoom.us/
- We recommend testing to make sure everything is working properly before the live event
- The Zoom dial-in instructions will be sent to the email used for registration 2 days before the virtual workshop.
- What ingredients do I need to participate?
- All ingredients will be included in your kit. If you want to turn your mocktail into a cocktail, you’ll need to provide your own spirit of choice (optional; Bourbon is our favorite for this drink but Vodka or Rum will work really well too).
- What equipment do I need to participate?
- A cocktail mixing glass
- Bar spoon (or a regular spoon)
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Ice nearby
- A rocks glass or a cocktail glass
- Old newspaper to keep your counter clean during the planting activity (optional)
- I cannot pick up a kit, can I still register and follow along with my own ingredients and equipment?
- Yes, just contact us and let us know you won’t be requiring a kit. Unfortunately, we cannot provide tickets at a discounted price.
- Can I request substitutions for my kit?
- Unfortunately, we are not currently offering any substitutions.
- Something came up and I won’t be able to log-on and participate, can I reschedule or receive a refund?
- Please see our cancellation policy for more info. on refunds.
- We cannot reschedule, but if you are registered, you will receive a recorded version of the workshop you can access anytime!
- Someone else will be joining me on Zoom, do they need their own ticket?
- Tickets are per screen and include 1 kit. If you want multiple kits, you’ll need to purchase additional tickets.
- Do your workshops ever run longer than the stated time? If so, what happens?
- While we do try to keep our workshops to the time frame quoted on our workshop listing, sometimes we go a little over because we want to be sure to answer everyone’s questions and be attentive to guiding you thoroughly through every step in the process. In the event that you need to leave before the end, please feel free to do so. We will be sending you a recording of your workshop so you won’t miss anything!